Saturday, May 5, 2012

K J B: The Book That Changed The World

I have picked out and previewed a new film to show at my Young Adults Sunday School class at my church. 
The movie is entitled "K J B: The Book That Changed The World, the amazing tale of the birth of the King James Bible."  And amazing it is indeed.  The film is a combination of documentary-style, and story-telling style with actors playing the various parts; King James, the Bishops, the Puritans, et al.  John Rhys-Davies is the narrator and he made the story come alive. King James, it turns out, is not anything like I would ever have imagined him to be.  I probably had some stuffy Henry VIII-type king envisioned, and King James was actually a very young, extremely brilliant, and did I know, no, a Scottish King to begin with.  He inherited the throne as the King of England after Queen Elizabeth died via the order of succession as well as personal choice, which lay within the power of the Queen. As soon as he took the throne both the Puritans and the Bishops began to press him to authorize THEIR bible; the Puritans, the Geneva Bible and the Bishops, the Bishops Bible. Fortunately King James knew them both well, and, frankly, despised both translations, knowing they were both full of error.  Well, the rest of the story is better told by watching the aforementioned video.  I can't wait to share it with my class.  And when you come to the end of the video, you will have the truth of the words that Paul the Apostle spoke when he said, "He must increase; while I must decrease," pierce your heart like a sword - the beauty of the truth of those words made me cry as I realized how King James fulfilled exactly the purpose for which our Lord God Almighty intended him, and when that purpose was done, those words were indeed - truth. Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment